Monday, March 7, 2011

Getting in Touch with Nature

After the short cold egg-less days of winter it is very exciting that my chickens have begun to lay eggs again. March is the beginning of what Jessica Prentiss in her book, Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection, (White River Junction, Vermont: Chelsea Green Publishing, 2006) refers to as Egg Moon since it is the month when hens on old fashioned farms begin to lay again. In modern techno-egg farming, hens are forced to lay all year long under artificial light, and of course their bodies wear out and they stop laying and living much earlier. But in the rhythm of creation, hens are stimulated to lay eggs as the days grow longer.This helps me to understand why Easter and Spring are celebrated with eggs - a connection that is easily missed when we buy our eggs in neat little boxes from the store year around.
Today, I am rejoicing for fresh eggs. And I realize that I need not eat them year round. I can live in tune with the earth.

Happy Egg Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment