Saturday, March 28, 2015

Still deprogramming

My grandson who is ten was very excited to attend a simulated business opportunity designed for children to learn about money making and business. There were several schools participating and all the children were given a role to play. My grandson and his friend are good students so they were chosen to have positions of greater responsibility. His friend was the CEO of the recording company that their class was in charge of, while my grandson was the CFO (chief financial officer) because he is good at math. Needless to say he had a great time. It was especially fun when they got their paychecks and were able to purchase things at the store. He got more money than other kids but no, he didn't share his money with those children who didn't get as big a paycheck. I think he thought that was an odd question for me to ask. Charity, gift giving and the equitable distribution of wealth were not part of the lesson plan that day.
It is interesting how young children are when we begin to teach them the ways of business including how some people will make more than others and therefore enjoy both life and the game much more than the rest.
Recently a neighbor stopped by and asked me about the chickens we keep. Specifically he was interested in whether or not we would ever sell eggs. I had never met him before although he seemed familiar, was quite pleasant and he told me that he often was jogging or walking by the house. Many people do that since we live close to a popular walking trail. I told him that I hadn't really thought about selling eggs but we exchanged phone numbers and I told him I would call if we had eggs to sell.
When I brought the subject up to my husband he said that it didn't seem like we should get into the egg selling business, but if we had extra eggs we could give them away. My husband is really clear in his thinking about such things. Our first chickens were given to us full grown and ready to lay eggs but no longer wanted by their former owner. The chickens freely give us the eggs and we take care of the hens whether or not they are laying eggs. We often have more eggs than we can use and in such a situation usually give them away to our adult children... but they are not always around or in need. Anyway, this logic seemed quite sound and made me a little embarrassed at myself that I should so easily fall into the buy and sell routine even when I had no need for the money.
The next week when I was clear we had an extra dozen eggs I sent a text to my neighbor and he called asking how much we would charge. I said we wouldn't charge and he began to negotiate with me. But I was firm about no charge although it was a little awkward. In our culture something that has no price is generally worthless rather than priceless. Things we get for free seem to be of little value while that which has a high price we think of as really valuable. Why is this?
Air, water, earth and sky: all were freely given and yet we have so little regard unless of course the air is conditioned, the water is bottled, we have a deed to prove we own the earth and the sky... well clearly we don't have much regard since we continue to pollute it with carbon and methane and anything else we can emit. Love, family, friendship, neighbors these too are freely given, how do we value them?
My neighbor came to pick up the eggs and he had cash in his hand but I said no. He went into the familiar argument about our need to buy feed and watch the chickens etc. but I still said no even though it was a little awkward for us both. Finally I said, say thank you. And he did and we both laughed. He took the eggs and we said good day. Now I text when we have eggs and he or his wife bring the empty cartons back when they remember.
Charity, gift giving and the equitable distribution of wealth were not part of the lessons in my school either. I thank my husband for helping me to deprogram myself of the need to make everything a commodity.

No comments:

Post a Comment