Friday, April 8, 2011

Down through the ages

Four of my five grandchildren were here today. Two were here very early, early enough that I was not yet awake so they laid down and went to sleep for a few minutes before I woke. My own children would never have done that! It was a treat to have them as they live farther away than the other grandchildren. Spring break gives us an opportunity to get together. An hour or so later another little one came and joined us. My other grandson was at school til later in the day.
Before lunch time I had fixed honey sandwiches, rice cakes with jam, goat cheese and crackers, soy milk, rice milk, whole milk - with a dash of half and half, sliced apples, and probably something else I have forgotten. Growing people, especially those with lots of energy, need lots of nourishment.
We went out together to check on the littlest chickens. We took corn and some cake crumbs as a treat and all the chickens, young and old were thrilled to gobble them down. We checked the water and the food supply at the same time. Growing chickens, especially those that live outdoors, need lots of nourishment too.
After spending time jumping on the trampoline with one of their aunties, the little people came to help me in the garden. We grazed through some of the greens. The little girls were delighted to discover that chick weed is edible and that the sprouting over-wintered Brussels sprouts taste like the raw broccoli they will enjoy later in the summer. We planted some celeriac and broccoli starts and adjusted the cloche since we cannot rely on warmth at night yet before we set off to meet the school bus in a parade of joyful noise.
I love to watch the grandchildren at play, listen to their stories and receive their drawings, flowers or other surprises. They remind me that life goes on, that part of me will go on with them long after I am gone, and that what I do matters; how I encourage them, feed them and how I nourish the relationships we have. Unlike the relationships I built with my children day after day, I don't have lots of time for trial and error with the grandchildren. I don't see them often enough, so every moment counts.
Developing relationships that last is really important to me. It may be the fundamental focus of what I live for. Relationships with my family, with the land, with the creatures that come to be with me for a time, with my community, with the human family, the earth and with the Spirit that connects us all.
When I am sitting outside on my front porch in the sun I feel the warmth that is given to all living things and know our connection. I feel deep inside that what I do to earth and air and water ripples out to all the lives that depend on this planet for life just as I do. I envision us all taking care of one another and living on through one another down through the ages.
Only then can I deal with the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment