Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Walking

I walked today. I walked to the nearest transit center about a mile from my house and then I walked to an appointment from work and back again. It makes me feel virtuous to walk especially when it is raining, or hailing as it was today on my walk back to my office. I wear a wool cape with a hood when I walk so I don't have to use an umbrella, though sometimes I carry one just in case there is a drenching down pour. This morning I tried to take everything out of my bag that wasn't really necessary since the weight has begun to hurt my shoulder. The boots I was wearing are not really good for long walks so my knee began to hurt after a time as well.

Several years ago I was visiting a friend's family up in the hills of Guatemala. Everyone walked, young and old, elderly and infirm. One day the family had to go into the higher hills to collect firewood. I went with them. The path was steep and it took all my skill to stay upright and a lot of my energy to keep moving so as not to get left behind. I was huffing and puffing by the time we arrived. Around me the women, including ones much older than me, were not only walking easily, they were carrying infants. I had to sit and rest while the women went about picking up sticks and making bundles. There was one man with us and he found a fairly good sized log. It was about 8-9 inches in diameter and about five or six feet long.
When enough fuel was gathered we started down the hill. The women carried stacks of sticks on their heads. The children helped as well. The man carried the log on his back and one of the older boys wanted to carry his load of sticks on his back as well. I just tried to keep my balance. No one complained. Everyone walked.

When I walk to the transit center I walk along a busy highway. Most of the cars going by have a single passenger. Sometimes someone I know drives by and waves or honks their horn. Once a friend said that he always saw me walking and that it was inspiring - a good example. I don't feel like a good example. Most of the time I just feel tired and sore. I am trying very hard to get into shape so I won't be left behind if a day comes when I must rely on walking.

However did people get into such a place where walking which is a natural, healthy and environmentally sound form of transportation feels like work? Or makes us feel virtuous for leaving our cars at home or for getting exercise? Human beings were made to walk. We had nomadic beginnings. We found food and made friends along the way. We got up in the morning and began to walk. We rested when we laid down at night. No one complained. Everyone walked.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post Valerie. I can hear you stepping out, and the footsteps of people walking through time.
    David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of all the work our ancestors did learning to walk upright. It seems a shame to waste that.
    Gwion

    ReplyDelete