Monday, February 15, 2016

Observing people

I had an appointment to keep today which meant I had to get up early even though I was not working.
I took a book and my transit pass and headed for the light rail line.
I left a bit early so I could get off at the first stop and buy some coffee to take with me. I have changed coffee shops but not because of taste, ambiance or cost. I changed because I feel more welcomed by the people in the new coffee shop. Not everyone was unfriendly or made me feel uncomfortable in the other shop, actually there was only one young woman who made me feel less than comfortable. It had to do with a question I asked when she charged me more than I had been charged before. I asked if the price had gone up and she treated me like I was lying to her which was awkward and embarrassing.  The other ladies are quite nice but it only takes the possibility of that one person being behind the counter to make me turn to the right instead of the left when I get off the light rail.

This morning, in the new shop - which is not really new except to me - the young women were not only friendly, they remembered what I bought last time and asked me about my weekend. I felt good buying the coffee from them. It is nice to be part of a neighborhood and a good way to start the day.
   
On the light rail going downtown I watched as a young man who was clearly blind got on the train with another person, possibly his tutor or daily companion. There is a section that is clearly marked for people with disabilities or who are elderly but no one got up for this young man. I was not close enough to offer my seat but I watched as others shifted their eyes so as too appear like they didn't see this blind man who needed a seat. His companion looked around but no one looked back so he led the young man up the stairs to a regular seat. I felt slightly embarrassed for the lack of compassion or even courtesy or just willingness to follow the rules: "These are priority seats for seniors and people with disabilities!" That means you must get up if you are not a senior and not disabled and offer your seat if someone gets on who fits the description.

Later on the train I was trying to read my book but kept being distracted by a young man about twenty years old who was make noises with a small chain attached to a water bottle. I looked up to see what the noise was and met his eyes briefly. They were blood shot and he seemed to be high on something... marijuana I supposed - since he was in a good mood but unable to hold still like a small child. He started hitting his metal water bottle against his hand or knee in a way that was not musical or rhythmic. I kept reading and at another stop someone got on and sat down across from the noise maker.

The young man began sharing how he was going to drop off a job application at a pizza place. He held up a large envelope that he had with him indicating that it held the application. He then began to talk about how as soon as he had this job he would be able to get an apartment and contribute to the city in a positive way. Contrary to reality he said that housing in the city was plentiful and he would have no problem finding a place right away. All the while that he talked he kept tapping or shaking his water bottle. He also mentioned that he didn't do drugs although he said "I do drink" and added that he thought that drinking contributed to the city's economy. I felt kind of sad thinking that I couldn't imagine anyone hiring this young man to work around people. He was very oblivious to his behavior which was annoying not only to me, but to a number of people who kept glancing at him as he made noises. Eventually he got off the train. I had a good long way to go.

After changing trains I sat down across from a young man who was very very high on something, meth I supposed. He was moving non-stop with his arms and face gesturing and acting as if he was communicating somehow with someone no one else could see. The much older woman who was seated nearest to him was clearly uncomfortable, maybe a bit scared since the young man's gesturing was very elaborate. He got off after a couple of stops and I thought that he had made the noise maker of the last train seem almost normal.

There was a couple with a toddler seated by the window. The little boy was very excited to be on the train. The woman, who I assumed was his mom, kept up a running dialogue with him about everything that was happening. When I first got on the train he looked over at me, smiled and waved. Sometimes it makes me happy to look like a grandmother... I am a grandmother after all and little people feel comfortable around grandmothers. Smiles are nice gifts.

There was another child who got on the train downtown very reluctantly. His caretaker had to coax almost pull the little guy onto the train. She was a woman who would only have been his mother by adoption since they were not of the same ethnicity. I thought that she was more likely a babysitter or caretaker of some sort. I wondered how I would know without making a fool of myself if this woman was supposed to have this unhappy child with her but as I watched them together I could see that she was very gentle and he was eventually at ease with her even if he had not wanted to get on the train at first. Sometimes we just trust that things are okay.

It is amazing that I was able to read so much of my book and get so much people watching in at the same time. I like being out in public. I am wondering what some of the other transit riders were thinking when they saw me!   


No comments:

Post a Comment