Saturday, February 13, 2016

Out and About

At last! Milder weather and returning strength. The cold weather combined with a fall and a few minor ailments left me with less energy for getting out into the world. But at last I am feeling my strength coming back.
I am really pleased that so many people are popping up all along the walking trail. It makes me happy to see so many neighbors out enjoying the fresh air. Many people are now walking down to take the light rail in to town and others are walking or biking since the finished trail makes for a safe and pleasant walking environment.
I have lived in my current home for more than 30 years and I have never felt as happy about the neighborhood as I do now. The walking/biking trail and the light rail access have made a huge difference. There are now two coffee shops at the first light rail stop and both seem to be thriving. With that stop being midway from my daughter's house and my own we can meet in between without driving much more easily than before. In fact with the opening of the light rail the bus that goes by closest to my home now turns and goes right by my daughter's house. It is a lovely alternative to driving that I appreciate more and more with time.
I met a lady on the trail this morning who I have not seen in some time. She is the mother of a  childhood friend of one of my daughters. She told me that she is trying to get out walking more and then she remarked that I was looking younger than before. I translate that to mean that she noticed that I am not carrying extra weight because walking and a vegan diet have been very healthy for me.
Did I also mention that my acupuncturist is a block off the light rail as well? It is just lovely to be so connected and yet to live where I can raise chickens and grow a garden. Life is good. 
I am hoping to get back to riding my bike as well when the weather is a bit more reliably dry. I may not have the stamina to ride the 8.5 miles into work anymore, but I can certainly ride the trail for fun whenever I like. Last evening my husband and I took the light rail into Milwaukie for dinner and to run some errands and while we were walking we discovered a real sign of transition next to City Hall -- a bike repair station available for anyone in need! Let me tell you, what a huge change that is for the City of Milwaukie. When my children were in school progressive/alternative/or forward thinking were not terms that were generally used to describe the town. But now! I am really impressed and although  hope not to have my bike break down when I am riding... it is great to know where I could go if I was in need! Pretty impressive Milwaukie!

No comments:

Post a Comment