Monday, February 23, 2015

Compassionate Living

I have been watching a series of DVD's that address the meat and dairy industries and talking about them with my community of faith. Sometimes it feels like I am shouting in the wind but not this time. Not only are people very receptive, but many people are really working at cutting meat and dairy from their diets. This past week the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, an independent group of 14 experts that advises the Health and Human Services (HHS) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) strongly suggested that Americans should eat less meat and one of the reasons cited, over and above personal health was damage to the environment. It was very energizing to hear people come back to one of the regular prayer groups I attend and say, "We heard that in our church before the Advisory Committee released information to the news." 

It seems right that people of faith regardless of tradition should be concerned about the health of the planet, justice for the poor who are being denied land to raise food crops although there is land for animal feed crops, the welfare of animals, and the health of every person. I was not really surprised to discover that there is a striking connection between people who are concerned about peace and justice in the world and people who do not eat animals: St. Francis of Assisi, St. Clare of Assisi, Martin Luther, Albert Schweitzer, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Mahatma Gandhi, Casar Chavez, Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King. The list goes on and it is pretty impressive. What surprises me is that I never really thought about the connection before. 

Today a friend sent me the following quote attributed to St. Francis of Assisi

"Not to hurt our humble brethren (the animals) is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission--to be of service to them whenever they require it... If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." 

Apparently some people have been aware of this connection all along. I do think that there are many good faith filled people who are simply ignorant of the connection. I would like to help people make the connection. I am grateful to those who helped me.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment