Monday, February 9, 2015

It has been a long time since I was here writing and much has happened. For a long time I was pretty down about the lack of response to Climate Change on the national and global levels and after a while I just couldn't write. Now it seems there is a movement in the air that I can feel hopeful about even though carbon levels in the atmosphere have gone over the 350 mark. Growing anticipation for the coming encyclical from Pope Francis regarding ecology is a part of the movement, but other reasons come from my own community experience and ever growing recognition of my own part in the climate crisis. This recognition of personal participation grieves me but at the same time energizes me to do something about it. In my work to change on the very personal level I have found many companions along the way and they inspire me. As we work and dialogue together, faith that real change is possible is once again taking root in my heart. I had a major reorientation of my thinking after watching "Cowspiracy" - a documentary that revealed the connection between animal agriculture, methane gas, and Climate Change. Although I have been a vegetarian for more than twenty years, I still consumed diary products. In fact, I relied on cheese for a significant part of my protein intake. I was really horrified to discover that eating dairy not only contributes to the accumulation of green house gases in the atmosphere, but the diary industry is more cruel than the beef industry. I was so sad one Saturday afternoon about 3 weeks ago that I sat down and cried. I cried for the unwanted calves that were brought into the world only as a means for their mothers to produce milk. I cried that the mother cows who wanted their calves cried when their calves were taken away. I cried because so many of those calves ended up as veal and never had a chance at life. I cried because I had eaten cheese that was made with rennet which comes from those dead baby calves. I cried because the mother cows are inseminated every year to keep their milk fresh for humans who don't need it. I cried because dairy cows only live about 6 years because of their harsh treatment. I cried because the connection between what humans eat and the changing climate is so strong and I just didn't get it. And after crying I made a decision to change. Once I didn't know, but now I know. No more dairy; not from cows or sheep or goats or any animal. All of the animals are treated the same when living in a modern industrial society and all ruminants produce methane. I will still eat the eggs that come from the chickens my husband and I keep, but no other eggs. We have six chickens. The oldest is over seven years old. We never eat our chickens nor do we give them away when they stop laying. They have the free run of our yard and we shut their coop at night only to protect them from the racoons who live near by. We don't use light or any other means to force them to lay eggs. We are happy for what they give us and they seem happy enough. I am sure that someone reading this may have a different perspective and I am more than willing to listen. It would seem harsh to get rid of them knowing how they could be treated somewhere else! They are our pets and they all have names. (Princess, Jackie, Rosie, April, Susie and Penny) I am learning to eat as a vegan and discovering amazing websites, books and blogs in the vegan world. I am very happy that so many of the websites that I have found present vegan living as a spiritual choice. That is the reason that fits best for me. A few weeks ago someone asked me what my spiritual practice was. I knew at the time that eating is my spiritual practice. Becoming a vegan has only intensified the practice. However can eating be a spiritual practice? Well that is for another blog. Maybe tomorrow. Peace. Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment