Saturday, February 28, 2015

Lovely day to become senior

What a lovely day for February, lots of sunshine with a crisp breeze. It is my birthday and I am very happy. I feel healthy and well and loved by many family members and friends. This morning I walked down to the new light rail station where members of the Community Council had organized a Tree Planting event in collaboration with Tri-Met (the local transportation company). People of all ages were invited to come and plant trees at what will be a wonderful meeting place for years to come. There were rocks to write your name on so that you could "plant yourself" with a tree to watch over in the coming years. There was music by local musicians and snacks provided by local businesses. It was very festive.
The project has been closely followed by student and community groups in Japan as a model of what neighbors, community organizations and public/private partnerships can accomplish, so there were Japanese banners posted along with colorful streamers.
I planted a few bushes and buried a rock with my family names on it. I hope I can remember where "my tree" is in the future. It is a wonderful idea to be connected to the community and nature in such a way.
Later tonight I will be surrounded by family as they toast my big day. My husband ordered a gluten free vegan cake for the event and I believe that all the food will honor my vegan lifestyle. What a joy to be moving in new directions as I earn my senior status. Best of all my bus tickets will cost less than half as much from now on. Pretty good deal to go from $2.50 to $1.00 over night.



It is wonderful to see people of all ages gathering to restore creation. I pray that we will all be more careful with creation so that future generations can enjoy lovely days in the sunshine amidst the plants and trees.  

No comments:

Post a Comment